Research At UL
Research at UL
The University of Limerick has an established reputation for being Ireland's leading university in industry-led research. This has resulted in significant research commercialisation activities and collaboration between our leading researchers and industry.
All of our key research indicators are showing strong growth, with increases in research applications, research income, postgraduate numbers and commercialisation activities complementing the strong gains in research outputs.
University of Limerick Key Research Strengths
- Materials & Surface Science: including composite materials, nano materials, solid-state pharmaceutical materials and biomimetic materials (for solar energy conversion and for biocatalysis)
- Information & Communication Technologies: chiefly Software Engineering and Telecommunications and Networks with an emphasis on thermal management and energy efficiency issues
- BioEngineering & Biosciences: including MicroFluidics, Biomedical Engineering and Structural Biology
- Energy and Sustainable Environment: with particular emphasis on biomass and biofuels, energy storage and materials, and monitoring, modelling and sustainability
- Applied Mathematics: with particular emphasis on mathematical modelling of fundamental problems in science, engineering and industry
- Study of Knowledge in Society: concerning social inequality and cultural diversity with a particular focus on health, technology, citizenship and development
Internationally Recognised Research Institutes