The Irish World Academy, UL welcomed The Band of the 1st Southern Brigade who recently performed in the new state-of-the-art academy building. The free concert was the first to be hosted in the newly opened Irish World Academy Building as part of the Lunchtime Concert Series run by the Academy.
Professor Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin, Director of the Irish World Academy said: The ritual of army bands is a global one. In times of peace, such ensembles turn to the wider community to serve the needs of education, festive gatherings, broadcasting, and celebration. The Irish World Academy's programme in Community Music especially extends a warm hand of welcome to this first visit by the Band of the 1st Southern Brigade and we look building on this relationship for years to come."
The Band of the 1st Southern Brigade formed in April 1925 at Beggars Bush Barracks, Dublin. It was posted to Cork the following year, where it is currently stationed at Collins Barracks. The numerical titles of all bands, with the exception of the Army No.1 Band, were later changed to territorial styles; thus the Army No.2 Band became The Band of the Southern Command. Its current title, The Band of 1 Southern Brigade, dates from a re-organisation of the Defence Forces in 1997. In addition to its military commitments, the band plays a major part in the musical and cultural life of the southern region of the country. The band's Schools Concert programme is a much appreciated part of the Defence Forces contribution to the community. All 25 members of the band performed in Theatre 1 at the Irish World Academy Building.