University-owned data systems are provided for authorized use by the members of the University community primarily for the business of the University. Personal use of these systems normally is incidental. Incidental is defined to mean the use of such resources by an employee for other than work-related matters which:
- does not incur additional cost to the University
- does not prevent the employee from attending to and completing work effectively and efficiently,
- does not preclude others with work-related needs from using the resources.
Data held on these systems is the property of the University and the University may direct that such data be made available to others working within the University. Additionally, such data may have to be made available to others outside the University as a result of the Data Protection Act, the new Freedom of Information Act or through some court activity.
Staff of ITD will regard information stored on a computer system as though it were the private property of the individual who created it. However, users who request assistance from ITD give ITD staff implicit permission to view such data as is necessary for them to view to enable them to investigate, diagnose, or correct problems.
Staff in ITD will:
- Not make any unauthorized use of any information in files maintained, stored, or processed by individual staff.
- Not seek personal benefit from any confidential information that has come to them by virtue of their work assignment.
- Not exhibit or divulge the contents of any record or report to any person except in the conduct of their work assignment and in accordance with University and divisional policies.
Guidelines for use of Remote Desktop by ITS:
ITD staff, when using Remote Desktop to investigate customer calls, will act professionally, responsibly and within the terms of their duties and responsibilities and will only use it for the purposes of diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving issues on UL PCs and for no other purposes.
The University is obliged by law to report the discovery of any illegal material (such as child pornography) to the relevant authorities.
7 March 2002