Because electronic information is volatile and easily reproduced, respect for the work and personal expression of others is especially critical in computer environments. Violations of authorial integrity, including plagiarism, invasion of privacy, unauthorised access, and trade secret and copyright violations, may be grounds for sanctions against members of staff and students.
The following set outs the policy of the University of Limerick with respect to the use of electronic copyright material:
- University of Limerick staff and students shall not make, store, transmit or make available illicit copies of any copyright material on University of Limerick systems, equipment or storage media.
- University of Limerick staff and students shall not upload, store or make available unauthorised copies of copyright material via the University's local area network or the internet.
- University of Limerick staff and students shall not assist or participate in any infringement of such copyright materials by operating or connecting to a peer-to-peer network or index using University systems, equipment or data network.
- It is the responsibility of each member of staff and each student to make themselves aware of any licence/copyright arrangements in place and to comply with same before using copyright material.
- University of Limerick staff and students shall not duplicate, copy or make available any material that is licenced for use within the University to any other third party (including the staff or student's home equipment) unless licenced to do so.
- Purchased electronic information resources are governed by contract and therefore is is essential that the terms of such contracts are honoured.
Any violation of this policy by staff will be considered a 'serious misconduct' as defined in a staff member's Conditions of Appointment. Any student found in violation of this policy will be disciplined as appropriate under the circumstances by the University Disciplinary Committee. The offence will be considered a major offence by this Committee.